When it comes to vacationing, everyone has different preferences. Some just want to get away to eat, sleep and be pampered (and let’s face it—who doesn’t want that??), while others can’t wait to get out and start exploring the city. So if you’re the exploring type, make sure you know the best ways to really see the best that your travel destination has to offer with these five recommended transportation options:
- Take a guided bus tour – What better way to see all the top area attractions, visit all the local dining and shopping hotspots, and learn about the city’s history and culture? A professionally guided tour lets you do just that. You can just sit back, relax and take in all that the city has to offer. Many bus tours offer well-equipped motor coaches with state-of-the-art audio/visual technology, hilarious/informational tour guides, comfortable seating and great views. One great location to take a bus tour is Las Vegas, where you can enjoy seeing places like Las Vegas Blvd., The Stratosphere, the “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign, Caesars Palace, and more. Be sure to check out all the options available in your city of choice!
- Go on a trolley or cable car – If you have the opportunity to do so, take advantage of a trolley or cable car ride to get a completely unique city tour experience. Places like San Francisco and Nashville offer incredibly scenic hop on/hop off rides aboard trolleys and cable cars, some operated by skilled “gripmen" or conductors and considered National Historic Landmarks.
- Ride a ferry – A nice change of scenery, ferry rides allow passengers to see the city from a different perspective on the water. Places like Boston offer scenic 15-minute ferry rides that take passengers up close to a local Harbor Island, which typically feature historic lighthouses, hiking trails, sandy beaches and park ranger-guided tours for visitors of all ages to enjoy together.
- Explore by foot – Another way to see the city is to explore by simply walking around. Although you may initially need transportation to get there, you’ll have the complete freedom to see sights that interest you most and skip the tourist attractions you’d rather not see. Greater Orlando, for example, has several fun areas to go exploring for a day (or night!), including downtown (featuring a variety of great restaurants, bars and nightclubs), Winter Park or Celebration (both offering boutique shopping and upscale dining), Disney Springs (showcasing an assortment of Disney-themed shopping, dining, entertainment for all ages), and more.
- Rent a car – For the most flexible option possible, rent a car and venture at your own leisure. Rather than waiting on a bus or other form of public transport, you’ll have the complete flexibility to drive wherever you want, whenever you want. Plus, with rental car companies like E-Z Rent-A-Car, you’ll have a wide range of vehicle options and locations to suit your group’s specific needs.